This scrumptious eggplant recipe is from ‘Essential Mediterranean’, Murdoch Books. Photo by Natalie Parletta.
- 1 kg eggplants (3 medium-large)
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed or finely diced
- 800g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tblsp chopped coriander leaves
- 3 tblsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tblsp lemon juice
- 2 tbslp chopped mint
- 150g Greek-style yoghurt
- 25g (handful) pine nuts, toasted (dry toast in a frying pan)
1. Cut the eggplants into 2cm cubes.
2. Heat 2 tblsp of the oil in a large frying pan and fry batches of eggplant until golden, set aside.
3. Heat another 2 tblsp of the oil in the pan and fry the onion for 1 minute; add cinnamon and half garlic, cook for one minute; then add tomatoes. Add the eggplant and simmer for 1 hour.
4. Add half of the coriander and half of the parsley. Stir and leave to cool.
5. Mix remaining 2 tblsp oil with the lemon juice, remaining garlic and mint, stir in the yoghurt.
6. Mix in pine nuts and remaining parsley and coriander. Serve the eggplant salad at room temperature with the yoghurt mint dressing.
- Date May 22, 2014
- Tags Lunch, Mains, Sides